The purpose of Transitional Kindergarten (TK) is to provide a “bridge” year between Pre-K and Kindergarten in San Diego for the student who needs an extra year to grow in their academic, social, and/or emotional development in order to be eqipped to meet the expectations of, and be successful in, a traditional Kindergarten program. TK will serve the student who turns five before December 31st.
In the mixed Classical-Montessori curriculum at Horizon Prep, the student will be prepared for a traditional Kindergarten environment by participating in whole class and small group instruction. The student will also have the unique opportunity to develop at their own pace in the areas of Language Arts, Mathematics and Geography, allowing them to explore and master concepts that are well beyond what can be taught in a traditional group environment.
At the end of the TK year, the student will have achieved their individual intellectual potential and be prepared to confidently tackle the behavioral, structural and academic expectations of Kindergarten.
Horizon Prep's Transitional Kindergarten:
- Follows the Montessori method of education but incorporates more group time for reading and math
- Reading and math groups are ability based
- Children in this class must turn 5 years old before December 31st
- This is also the first year of a two-year Kindergarten program for some children
- Transitional Kindergarten is offered Monday through Friday
- Each child’s individual development is followed and they are able to proceed at their own independent rate in academic, social and developmental areas
- A monthly academic theme (unit of study) is taught each month and includes the following: “All About Me,” bones of the body, internal organs, nutrition, master artists, the universe, oceanography, zoology, botany, and more
- A Bible verse is learned each month that ties in with their academic theme